BIYMF is the International Youth Music Competition/Festival for young musicians up to age 25 that takes place in Brisbane, Australia. BIYMF was founded in August 2012 in Brisbane. The Festival provides musically gifted young people with creative opportunities to develop their potential abilities and grow professionally.
The Brisbane International Youth Music Festival (BIYMF), 31st July – 2nd August 2020 , will provide an opportunity for emerging musically talented youth to gain experience in competition at an international standard and to perform in front of packed music-loving Brisbane audiences.
The competition component of the BIYMF is for solo instrumentalists, solo vocalists and ensembles, aged 25 years or under.
The semifinals will be held in Brisbane, Australia on the 31st July – 2nd August 2020 as public performances . Venue is TBA. Competitors must appear in person and will be advised of their selection for the Semifinals.
Top competitors from each category will be chosen to perform at the Finals concert. The judging panel will select one work from the competitors’ program to be performed.
To be announced shortly.
BIYMF is open to instrumentalists (strings, wind, brass, piano, vocal and ensembles) of any nationality aged 25 and under.
Applicants can compete in the following categories:
- Junior Strings – Age 13 and under
- Senior Strings – Age 13-25
- Junior Wind/Brass – Age 13 and under
- Senior Wind/Brass – Age 13 – 25
- Junior Piano – Age 13 and under
- Senior Piano – Age 13-25
- Open Vocal – Age 25 and under
- Ensembles – Age 25 and under
The age brackets will be decided based on the applicants’ age at the time of the festival, i.e if an applicant turns 13 prior to August 9th, then they will compete in the senior category, otherwise they’ll be placed in the junior category.
Applicants competing in both solo and ensemble categories should submit separate application forms for each category and pay a separate fee for each application.
BIYMF can assist with arranging an accompanist for semifinal/final performances. Please contact the festival coordinator for further details or visit the Accompanist Guild Website.
Payment for performances and rehearsals must be arranged and negotiated between the competitor and accompanist.
- Competitors for the opening round must record one piece of your choice with a maximum time limit of 15 mins
- Semi Finalists – are to perform live two contrasting pieces of your choice with a maximum time limit of 15 mins
- Finalists – the judging panel will choose one of two pieces to be performed live in the final at the gala concert where the prize winners will be announced.
Competitors must ensure that a copy of their sheet music is provided to the festival coordinator at the start of the day of their scheduled semifinal. Please note that photocopies will not be returned.
The 15 minute time limit must be strictly adhered to. Competitors may be penalised and/or cut off if they exceed the time limit.
The cost of travel to the competition will be borne by the competitor. Those requiring assistance with booking accommodation, transport or tours can contact the festival coordinator.
Accepted semifinalists are responsible to apply for a travel visa to Australia where necessary and to hold sufficient travel, accident and health insurance for the duration of their stay.
The judging panel is composed of a minimum of 5 distinguished, international musicians and all decisions of the panel are final. The judges reserve the right to withhold any prize or award should the required standard not be achieved.
Conflict of Interest
In the spirit of fairness and transparency, adjudicators that have a conflict of interest with any of the participants (teacher/student, parent/child) will not be permitted to score the performances of those participants.
The Festival reserves the right to record, film, web-stream or broadcast any part of the Festival events. Competitors must grant BIYMF the sole and exclusive right to use of these recordings.
The following must be received by BIYMF before an application can be accepted:
- An application form must be completed on the BIYMF website with a copy of the applicant’s passport or birth certificate for proof of age. All applicable information must be completed.
- A link to a YouTube/Vimeo/Google Drive/Dropbox recording of the applicant performing their audition repertoire must be included in the application form.
- Payment of the $99 AUD non-refundable application fee via can be paid directly thorough the BIYMF website or direct deposit payment is available. Please note, that the application fee will increase to $149 after the early-bird cut off date on the 30th of April, 2020.